Implemented by the Old Mutual-MTN Science Centre based at Gateway Mall in Durban, this PUB funded project encompasses a number of different public awareness activities focusing on the proper and efficient delivery of knowledge on biotechnology. The objectives of the project are:
- To introduce the world of microbiology to the public.
- To provide clarity on the importance of biotechnology and the role that biotechnology-based processes play in the present and future.
- To deliver systematic presentations and communications on various biotechnology based processes.
- To promote an interactive environment with the public raising issues that involve environmental concerns, which could be addressed and resolved with the implementation of biotechnology.
Technology-based exhibits are the foundation of this project, with an emphasis on delivering a sound and comprehensive understanding of biotechnology applications used around the world. The various activities, including exhibits, cartoon posters, science drama, basic biotechnology workshops for educators and schools debate competitions, this project involves ScienceCentre personnel, relevant research experts and members of the public. Senior secondary learners and the general public are the primary audience although the information pitch can also be made suitable for senior primary learners.
- Media Round Tables
- Biotechnology Debate Competition
- Educator Workshops