The PUB Programme offers a basic biotechnology course for those with no knowledge of biotechnology and is open to those with no or limited science background. It can be adapted and tailored to specific needs and time constraints (from a few hours to whole days), although is best suited to adults or Grade 8 learners upwards.
The course is being run by various facilitators with extensive knowledge on biotechnology and trainnied in communication. It is partly interactive and there are plenty of opportunities for discussion, clarification and questions. The following modules are covered in the course:
- Introduction to Biotechnology
- Cells, genes and DNA
- What are GMO's?
- Concerns and applications of GMO's
- Public awareness and labelling
- GM status in South Africa and the world
- Cloning: what it is, how it is done, how it affects us (uses and ethics)
- Practical/interactive sessions: DNA extraction, DNA and genes, and inheritance